A word for “rate of change”

Physics problems are usually written like:

The rate of change of the soup’s temperature …

Is there a common English word that captures “rate of change” or “speed of change” in a single word, other than derivative?


Speed is used for the rate of change of distance with respect to time. Sometimes speed is used in contexts similar to what you mention.

How quickly will the soup reach room temperature.

Source : Link , Question Author : bobobobo , Answer Author : David W

Leave a Comment