I a bit confuse on these two words.
As far I know:
Affect means to influence or to produce a change in something.
Effect means the result of a change.
To make sure I understand their differences correctly, I came up with these examples:
- Will my app get effected if this line of code get removed?
- Will this changes affect my code?
Are these example correct?
No, they should be:
- Will my app be affected if this line of code gets removed?
- Will these changes affect my code?
Part of the confusion may be that effect can be used as a noun or a verb; affect can only (usually)1 be used as a verb.
- effect as a noun – Refers to how something is changed or behaves differently as a result of an action. “All actions have an effect.”
- effect as a verb – Means to cause something to happen. “Activists want to effect change in policy.”
- affect (only a verb) – Means to change, alter or have an impact on something else. “Changes in policy affect all of us.”
1 “Affect” can be used as a noun, but this usage is very rare. As a learner it’s probably best not to worry about this.