Can I make minor typographical corrections to a title in citations?

Let’s say I need to cite a website or printed report with the title:

Broccoli production in Ruritania, 1990-2010

with a hyphen in “1990-2010.” In English typography, though, the standard indicator for numerical ranges is an en-dash (–), not the shorter hyphen (-).

Is it licit to substitute an en-dash for a hyphen in a citation or footnote, as in

See “Broccoli production in Ruritania, 1990–2010,” Ruritanian Ministry of Agriculture, 2011.

without remarking on the correction? Strictly speaking, I’m changing the “official” title of the work, but the change is minimal and unlikely to keep anyone from finding the cited work.


According to the Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Ed., Section 13.7, it is perfectly acceptable to change hyphens to en or em dashes as necessary without the need to remark on the change.

Source : Link , Question Author : Connor Harris , Answer Author : WordNerdHouston

Leave a Comment