Does “recenter” have a British spelling?

I know that “center” and “centre” are the respective American and British spellings of the word, but is “recenter” spelt “recentre” in the British way, or not? I tried to Google for “recentre”, but no dictionary came up with it. Actually, is that even a real word? I’m trying to get the word meaning

to bring back to the middle after being away from it


According to Google ngram viewer

it does exist; it’s used about 1/5 as much as `recenter’.

but the pattern of “center” and “centre” is very different over time.

Odd…. and fuel for thought!

Source : Link , Question Author : Qantas 94 Heavy , Answer Author : Peter Flom

Leave a Comment