-er suffix help

Is there a word for of nouns with the suffix er but have the base of a verb? Ex. Sleeper, singer, swimmer. a type of noun that performs an action. The closest thing I can find is gerund, but I have been told they must end with “ing”. I am attempting to perform a translation.


The general term for such nouns is agent noun:

a noun denoting the performer of an action (as writer, inspector, patron, hanger-on)

Note, however, that agent nouns don’t always end in er (as per some of the examples in the definition.)

I know of no term for only er-suffixed agent nouns. I suppose you could use the one that I just wrote.

Source : Link , Question Author : Community , Answer Author : Jason Bassford

Leave a Comment