How do you derive the adjectival form of an irregular verb such as “read”?

If I understand correctly, some adjectives can be derived from verbs.

For example, an interested person is someone who is interested in me, and an interesting person is someone who is interesting to me.

So how you do it with irregular verbs?

In the phrase “do something with data which was read” could the “data which was read” be replaced with something like “the read or readed data”?

I’m confused by fact that this verb irregular and is spelled the same in 1-3 forms.


The difference here comes in pronunciation, you would still use ‘read’ but speak is such as red or reed depending on the circumstance. For instance:

  • I can reed.
  • I red it.

Though, you could alter the sentence to replace ‘read’ with a couple of things, as per @Martin’s comment ‘entered’ or ‘loaded’ could be used:

We do something with the loaded data.

We do something with the entered data.

We do something with the provided data.

Or it could be shortened, but this is depending on context:

We process the input.

Source : Link , Question Author : bayda , Answer Author : Grant Thomas

Leave a Comment