How does a word become an English word? Is there a word for that?

How to term those words which are not by default English but are added over time?

Consider for example Google. Is it an English word now? Or is it just a usage?


Use of the word “google” to mean “perform an Internet-based search (for)” is an example of genericization.

Wikipedia has a list of terms that have entered the language this way. Some may surprise you.

Wikipedia also has a helpful page on the topic, which includes commentary on the phenomenon itself.

If you’re looking for a more general term that covers words entering the language that are not necessarily trademarks, I recommend neologism.

Source : Link , Question Author : VijayaRagavan , Answer Author : Tyler James Young

Leave a Comment