Is there a name for this type of double speak?

My colleague will indirectly ask me to do something by using a statement Eg. John needs a form = can you print me a form to fill out on behalf of John. Her tone of voice does not indicate it’s a request but she stares waiting for me to do it. I need to put a name to this annoyance. Thanks!

Edit: I am ideally looking for a pejorative adjective as a name/definition.

Here is another example:
“We’ve ran out of microbrushes in here” = Please can you get me some more microbrushes
A small request but the statements are quite abrupt and used instead of a question.

Here is another non workplace example:
Someone may say “This man has just collapsed” but everyone takes this statement as a direction to help the man Eg. “Please help this man he has collapsed”

(This is my first time using this app thank you for everyone’s patience!)


In Spanish there is a grammatical concept, called an indirect command, for statements that are:

“a wish or hope that something will happen or that someone will do something”

While English doesn’t have a specific syntax for an indirect command (most of this would be communicated through inflection or body language), I’d argue that the same definition for the Spanish concept works here.

If you are looking for an adjective that describes this behavior, I’d use bumptious.

“presumptuously, obtusely, and often noisily self-assertive”

Source : Link , Question Author : user274820 , Answer Author : Neil Kleckner

Leave a Comment