Is there a name of the flying bionic bird?

I have seen this flying robotic bird on youtube few days ago. Unlike other flying machines/robots, it flaps its wing to fly.

enter image description here

Doing google, I came to know that they are called bionic bird. But, bionic bird may not necessarily fly. They can be used as a spying robots sitting on a wall.

What do you call a robot or a machine flying like a bird?


The name of this device dates back to the year 1908. It comes from French ornithoptère meaning a machine designed to fly be mechanical flapping of wings.

Here, Greek ornitho- meaning brid + Greek -pteron meaning “wing”.

So, we have the word ornithopter.

A machine designed to achieve flight by means of flapping wings.

“In collaboration with SRI International in Menlo Park, California, they are developing ornithopters – aircraft that get all of their thrust and most of their lift from flapping wings.”

Source : Link , Question Author : Josh B , Answer Author : Ubi hatt

Leave a Comment