Is there a verb for making a statement/sentence milder or “dumbing it down”?

Is there a verb which means the same as “to dumb down” or “to make milder”, in relation to an account of something I had witnessed? More specifically, a verb which describes telling your account of something you witnessed in a milder form so as to not scare the other person and “play down” the event.


If the intent of the eyewitness is to make the event sound less horrifying to the listener, soft-pedal, minimize, or sugar-coat might work.

Source : Link , Question Author : LibEden , Answer Author : LindaCamillo

Leave a Comment