Is there a word for when a child no longer “hero-worships” their parents?

A part of growing up, is losing your “hero-worship” of your parents. The moment you realize they’re not larger-than-life, but they have got flaws… The moment you start looking at them with new eyes…

Is there a particular word for describing this in English? I’m not thinking of a psychological term (I’m sure there is one), but in daily-speak (well, not so daily probably).

Edit: In retrospect, if anybody has a medical or psychological term for it, that would be helpful too.


“Coming of age” to correspond with the adolescent Erikson stage mentioned above.

Source : Link , Question Author : Baard Kopperud , Answer Author : user117974

Leave a Comment