Looking for a word to represent metal particles produced when polishing metal

When polishing metal plates (for example, polishing teppanyaki plate) or sharpening knives, there will be small metal particles released.

I assume that these metal particles are not good for our health so I want to find whether there are some scientific articles available to support my assumption.

It leads me to have to find the correct word representing such small metal particles before looking for the scientific articles.


The technical term for the waste resulting from metal processing is “swarf.” Swarf contains both metal fragments and bits of abrasive if the processing involves abrading. The former alone are called “shavings,” “turnings,” and “filings” according to the type of processing.

Source : Link , Question Author : The Code Mocker , Answer Author : deadrat

Leave a Comment