Name for the action performed by this chef with a pan

If you look at this picture, you may know it is done by a chef who is holding the handle of the wok, and lifting it over the cook top while cooking.

What word or phrase could be used to describe this action?

flying wok


The word is toss. It’s often used with pancakes, but it’s also common with woks.

The chef is tossing the food in the wok. Tossing can also describe the arm movement. I don’t think there’s a verb that would fit “the chef verbs the wok” — shake comes close, but it’s not a perfect fit.

For pancakes, flipping can also be used, but that only applies to a flat object which is moved in such a way to exchange the top and the bottom, so it’s unsuitable for something in a wok.

Source : Link , Question Author : canoe , Answer Author : Gilles ‘SO- stop being evil’

Leave a Comment