My friend asked me to translate her thesis synopsis into english. An original text was ugly and its translation is not better. Even it sound much worse:
Bachelor thesis deals with the influence of specific developmental
disorders of school skills on human life. It contains a theoretical
overview of specific developmental disorders of school skills, their
diagnosis and communication area of individuals with these disorders.
The practical part presents four case studies showing the
communication difficulties of selected individuals and overcoming
I am not sure if you understand this text. The thesis is about dyslexia and similar problems. How to simplify “specific developmental disorders of school skills” without loosing a meaning?
- specific learning disorders
- specific school skill development disorders
- specific learning development disorders
At very least you could safely simplify the second occurrence. In the second sentence, replace “specific developmental disorders of school skills” with “such skills”.
But there are a few other things needing tidied up too.
- “Bachelor thesis” needs an article. e.g. “This Bachelor thesis”, or even better “This Bachelor’s thesis”
- “…and communication area of individuals…” is wrong. I can’t offer a suggestion though because I don’t know what the underlying meaning is supposed to be.
- “…and overcoming them” is also wrong. At very least it may need to be something like “… and how those difficulties were overcome.” But it may be better with a bigger fix. For example: “The practical part presents four case studies showing the communication difficulties, and associated remedies, of selected individuals.”
Source : Link , Question Author : Leos Literak , Answer Author : tkp