Should we adopt “close shot” as a verb in casual writing?

This question inevitably invites the controversial subject of verbification, but I wish a finer discussion on its possible benefits and drawbacks. My limited vocabulary perhaps has not alerted me to a verb currently in use that could play a better role. If so, then, I will not press the question further. Otherwise, what are the … Read more

Concerning as a verb?

During a conversation, I said “I am not concerning”, instead of opting for ” I am not concerned”. I figured it would be alright as “I am not hurting” instead of “I am not hurt” is perfectly fine (AFAIK). How correct is it? Answer to hurt can be transitive or intransitive. to concern is always … Read more

What is or is there a verb (and adjective) for the noun ‘confluence’?

I would like to know if there is a verb for confluence. I have looked through most of the established dictionaries as well as on the internet. If there is no verb (and possibly no adjective, too), would you verbify the noun to to confluence as Americans tend to do with many nouns? Answer There … Read more

“When you Frankenstein a team together…” – Is “Frankenstein” a new verb?

I did not know that “Frankenstein” can be used as a verb. Max Kellerman, a highly reputed sports analyst working for ESPN, says “When you Frankenstein a team together, usually it doesn’t work out that first season …” Source: Stephen A. to LeBron: Kawhi is coming for you, do something about it! from 43 seconds. … Read more

What does “tripwire” mean as a verb?

Half Nelson offers an opportunity to marvel, once again, at the dazzling talent of Ryan Gosling for playing young men as believable as they are psychologically trip-wired. (source) Though familiar with the noun, I have never seen “tripwire” used as a verb. Also I am not able to find the verb form in any dictionaries. … Read more

Is there a word for made up verbs that end in “ing”?

One thing I love about English is that verbs can be easily created just by adding the suffix "-ing" and adjectives by adding "-ly". How would you call this phenomenon? Examples: Googling, Youtubing Pants-shittingly Answer verb + -ing is called a gerund: As applied to English, it refers to the -ing form of a verb … Read more