The correct way to refer to a drop list on a computer window?

For example:

Type in the description for the event (or use the droplist to choose one of the predefined choices).

My spellchecker is offering:

  • drop list
  • drop-list

Isn’t droplist valid?


Strictly speaking, this is more of a computer-related site question than one of English. However, they are commonly referred to as dropdown lists.


Dropdown lists allow users to select one item at a time, similarly to radio buttons, but are more compact allowing you to save space. Consider adding text to the field, such as ‘Select one’ to help the user recognize the necessary action.

It’s a matter of style if it should be dropdown or drop-down, although the unhyphenated version seems more common.

Source : Link , Question Author : Andrew Truckle , Answer Author : Jason Bassford

Leave a Comment