What are the commands customarily shouted out to the crowd to leave?

What expressions (commands) do police customarily use when calling out over megaphones to a gathered crowd (a protest, demonstration or such) to walk away and end the protest?


PLEASE DISPERSE. (Not you, SF – that’s just what might be said.)

It’s worth showing NOAD’s entry for disperse:

disperse (verb) to go or cause to go in different directions or to different destinations : [ intrans. ] the crowd dispersed | [ trans. ] the police used tear gas to disperse the protesters.

There are probably other ways that this could be announced, but this was the one that immediately came to my mind.

Source : Link , Question Author : SF. , Answer Author : J.R.

Leave a Comment