What are these things that surround museum exhibits called?

I’m trying to find the correct naming for these things in the image:

enter image description here

It’s the things that surround the exhibits in a museum, and sometimes they delimit a walking area to guide visitors along. I’m mostly interested when they define a route to follow.

I’m thinking about red ribbons but I could only find an image with chains (’cause I don’t know by what name to search them :D).

What’s the whole ensemble called?


A barrier to surround and protect something is called a cordon. They can also be used to direct people to a destination. (As in an airport queue or amusement park crowd management.)

Similarly the verb to cordon off means to enclose something with a barrier.

They’re often made of velvet with hooks that allow them to be detached and reattached, hence the term velvet rope. This style is most frequently used in theaters and nightclubs. When something is felt to be exclusive or mysterious it’s said to be:

Behind the velvet rope.

The posts used to hold up the cordon are called stanchions.

enter image description here

Source : Link , Question Author : Pips , Answer Author : David M

Leave a Comment