What do you call this kind of usage?

Is there a term to name this kind of usage:

“Big” is an adjective.

What I am thinking about is the adjective “big”.

I am already quite annoyed by “big’s” in your speech. You repeat it almost every 10 seconds.

as opposed to this common usage:

I saw a big house last night.

We will solve a big problem.

A big dog ran up to him suddenly.


I think that you’re trying to show the difference between use and mention. In the first set of examples you are mentioning or quoting the word “big”, while in the second set of examples you are using the word “big” in the usual sense.

Source : Link , Question Author : brilliant , Answer Author : JSBձոգչ

Leave a Comment