What is a word for a gap that is too large to close?

What is a word for a gap that is too large to close?

I don’t like insurmountable because that is a mountain and impassable just doesn’t do it for me.

Any ideas?


It might be described as a chasm or chasmal / chasmic:


  1. a yawning fissure or deep cleft in the earth’s surface; gorge.
  2. a breach or wide fissure in a wall or other structure.
  3. a marked interruption of continuity; gap: a chasm in time.
  4. a sundering breach in relations, as a divergence of opinions, beliefs, etc., between persons or groups

Related forms
chas·mal, chas·mic, adjective

— Definition from Dictionary.com

Or possibly as an abyss or abyssal


  1. a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity; vast chasm.
  2. anything profound, unfathomable, or infinite: the abyss of time.
    1. the primal chaos before Creation.
    2. the infernal regions; hell.
    3. a subterranean ocean.

— Definition from Dictionary.com

Or if you’re referring to a gap that’s more metaphorical than literal, perhaps it could be described as a schism (I know of no adjective form)


  1. division or disunion, especially into mutually opposed parties.
  2. the parties so formed.
  3. Ecclesiastical.
    1. a formal division within, or separation from, a church or religious body over some doctrinal difference.
    2. the state of a sect or body formed by such division.
    3. the offense of causing or seeking to cause such a division.

— Definition from Dictionary.com

Source : Link , Question Author : HilStar , Answer Author : p.s.w.g

Leave a Comment