What is the equivalent word for ‘spoon/scoops’ in case of say pudding?

How do I say “I had 3 scoops of ice-cream” or “Put 2 spoons of sugar in the mixture” in case of pudding or cake?

I had 3 pieces of cake.

What word should I use here for pieces, like I did for ice-cream with spoon?


For ice cream, we use scoops.

For sugar, we use teaspoons (particularly if we are calling for a precise measurement, as in a recipe), or perhaps spoonfuls for a less precise quantity.

For cake, we could use either pieces or slices.

This Ngram shows that these five phrases have been published in uncannily close frequencies. Note also that I’m writing from the U.S.; other dialects may favor other words.

As for pudding, consider dollop. From NOAD:

dollop (n.) informal
a shapeless mass or blob of something, esp. soft food

This recipe, for example, calls for a small “dollop of pudding” between the vanilla wafer and the banana slice:

enter image description here

Source : Link , Question Author : Thor , Answer Author : J.R.

Leave a Comment