What is the opposite of “Could you talk a little louder”?

In a conversation, when I don’t hear someone, I usually say:

Could you talk a little louder please?

However, what should I say if:

  • Someone is being very loud in the other room when talking on the phone.
  • Someone is making too much noise.

I am looking for a polite expression. Any suggestions?


No matter how you say it it may come across as bossy, since the other person (in the situations you mention) isn’t talking to you. I’d probably use:

“Would you tone it down a bit, please.”

Source : Link , Question Author : Legend , Answer Author : Hydrangea

Leave a Comment