What is the verb for ‘stepping on or into something unintentionally’?

Let’s say I am walking down the hall and I step on a bottle or a ball and I lose my balance, or say I am walking down the road and I hit a stone and I drop something I was carrying in my hand.

In both of those scenarios I was momentarily off-balance because of me hitting or knocking over something. Is there any specific verb to describe this action, something similar to slip but I might not fall just lose my balance for a couple of seconds.


Consider misstep (“to step badly or incorrectly”), stumble (“To trip or fall; to walk clumsily”), trip (“To fall over or stumble over an object as a result of striking it with one’s foot”), bumble (“To act in an inept, clumsy or inexpert manner; to make mistakes”), and blunder (“To make a clumsy or stupid mistake” and “To move blindly or clumsily”).

Source : Link , Question Author : Thor , Answer Author : James Waldby – jwpat7

Leave a Comment