What kind of British English accent is it?

I’d like to ask what kind of accent it is. Is it Geordie of British English? Please refer to this video hyperlink: a British English accent.


The video is of ‘Question Time’, a question answer series for politicians to answer local problems. This means that the panel is usually speaks with less of an local accent (more standard British English (BrE) or RP, and the questioners in the audience more likely to have regional accents.

This particular episode was filmed in Darlington, UK, which is in between Yorkshire, where a Yorkshire accent predominates, and Tyneside, where a Geordie accent is more common. Of course, these two accents are not far apart in comparison to the wide variety in the UK.

The very first person speaking in your link, the woman in red at 8:15, pronounces the word ‘stuff’ with the same vowel as ‘book’ (ie. there is a STRUT/FOOT merger. Also, in the same speaker, the FACE vowel is monophthongized, ie, for ‘today’ instead of /ti ‘deɪ/ it is pronounced /ti ‘de/. But both of these are features of both Yorkshire and Geordie.

I can’t find any particular features in that recording to distinguish speakers from being Geordie or Yorkshire (though there certainly are differences in theory). I couldn’t get any more precise than general Northern.

Source : Link , Question Author : Tin Amaranth , Answer Author : Mitch

Leave a Comment