What’s it called when you’re paid while the business is temporarily closed

I’m trying to find a word to describe an individual whom is paid while the business they work in is temporarily closed. Example:
While a library is renovated, the staff are paid for the hours they would have worked.

I’ve thought about “paid leave” and “paid time off” but it doesn’t seem correct as leave would suggest the workers voluntarily took the time off, and the latter would suggest a vacation.

The closest I’ve come to would be a “paid furlough”. Any ideas?



paid temporary shutdown


paid temporary closedown

These phrases focuses on the business suspension, rather than the employee.

Despite your misgivings, I think a phrase including furlough would not seem jarring to most. One of the definitions is

(US) a temporary laying-off of employees, usually because there is insufficient work to occupy them

As you indicate, most furloughs involve no pay (in fact avoiding salary costs is the most common reason for furlough). But if you said paid furlough, as you considered, the meaning would probably be clear. In the recent US government shutdown, workers were often described as being furloughed, and some were paid despite not working.

Source : Link , Question Author : Chris , Answer Author : bib

Leave a Comment