What’s the word used to describe this amount of volume?

When you are watching TV and you turn the volume up or down with the remote control say from 17 to 16, 9 to 10, etc., how do you describe that single amount of volume?
Is the word notch correct to describe this single amount of volume i.e. turn the volume down a notch, turn the volume up a few notches?


Calling it a notch would be fine.

The scientific unit of measure is a decibel, but that isn’t something you would say unless you’re talking to someone who knows what it is, and you know how that correlates to the gradations on the remote control.

Source : Link , Question Author : Theo , Answer Author : Xenson

Leave a Comment