Which form and when? “counterclockwise” vs “anticlockwise”

Which term is more used in everyday English and which in formal/professional environment?


They both mean the same, and there’s no context where one would be preferred over the other. All you really need to know is that Americans almost exclusively use counterclockwise

enter image description here

…whereas Brits are just as happy using anticlockwise

enter image description here

But if you want to really impress people with your knowledge of obscure/dialectal/archaic forms, you might like to note that widdershins is another synonym.

Source : Link , Question Author : Derfder , Answer Author : FumbleFingers

Leave a Comment