Word for to look at someone telling them to shut up

I am looking for a word in which you look at someone with your eyes such that you’re telling them to remain quiet.

For example, you are in a serious situation and your friend tries to make a joke and you look at him with wide eyes, telling him to just shut up.

Is there a word for that?

Also can you guide me to a site where words for different expressions are given?


There’s quell:

  1. Put an end to (a rebellion or other disorder), typically by the use of force.
    “extra police were called to quell the disturbance”

    • subdue or silence (someone).
      “Connor quelled him with a look”

It’s often used in this context – you would give someone a ‘quelling look’ which would be the kind that silently tells them to stop what they are doing.

Source : Link , Question Author : Ahmad Qayyum , Answer Author : marcellothearcane

Leave a Comment